Immigration Applications

Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visa application types

The Law Office of Elisabeth Ames has extensive experience dedicated to representing clients in specialized occupations (H-1B) and extraordinary abilities (O-1). The Law Office has also successfully worked with clients requiring other immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

O-1.  This visa type is for foreigners, who possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, and who are coming to the United States to work temporarily in that field. Applicants can include invididuals, who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry. Individuals can apply for this work permit if they have been recognized nationally or internationally for their achievements.

P-1.  This visa type is made available for foreign atheletes, who are coming to the United States temporarily to perform in an athletic competition. This visa type is offered to individual atheletes or teams of atheletes. There are eligibility criteria that applicants must meet.

H-1B.  This visa type is made available for foreign workers in specialty occupations. Specialty occupations may include fields such as science, engineering, and information technology. An employer can apply to sponsor a foreign worker for a job that requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specific specialty, or its equivalent. The right to work and remain in the United States is contingent upon employment. Should employment end, the foreign worker can apply for a change in status or must return to his or her home country.

EB-1A.  This first preference visa type is made available to foreign individuals, who possess extraordinary ability, are an outstanding professor or researcher, or are a multinational executive or manager. Each category of qualifying occuplation has certain requirements that must be met.

EB-2.  This second preference visa type is for individuals, who are eligible for an employment-based, second preference visa if you are a member of the professions holding an advanced degree or its equivalent, or a foreign national who has exceptional ability.

OPT.  Eligible students in the United States on an F-1 visa can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows for temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. If approved, applicants can receive up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization before completing their academic studies and/or after completing their academic studies (post-completion). A student must be careful if beginning OPT before the completion of studies, because it will affect the available period for OPT following the completion of studies.

J-1.  This visa type is made available for non-immigrants, and applicants are eligible to apply if they are approved to participate in work- and study-based exchange visitor programs.   

L-1A/B.  This visa type is available to foriegn workers of an international corporation, who wish to temporarily transfer to the corporation's office in the United States. Under certain conditions, spouses of L-1 visa holders may be permitted to work in the United States. Holders of L-1 visas may apply for a green card. 

National Interest Waiver.  This is a petition that can support an EB-2 work-based visa application. Under the National Interest Waiver, a foreign worker petitions the United States Government, asserting that it is in the national interest that the applicant be allowed to work permanently in the United States. This petition asks that the Government waive some filing requirements. 

Do you need legal advice about applying for a work or student visa?

Call us to discuss your immigration application.  

Phone: 212.513.1313                                                               

Fax: 212.253.4997                                                            

Skype: ElisabethAmes